February 9, 2010

final homework


sorry this is kinda graphics heavy~ but it contains the last of my homework for the year!

assignment: ridiculous/weird character - Anemic vampire. He lives in the hospital since he’s just so accident prone that if released, he’d just end right back in it. He helps drink up blood bags before they expire. He says, “DONATE BLOOD!”  The story is really dumb. But sensei asked me to make one up for the sake of the assignment, so… oh well.


So, I had to draw a background, okay… and it required us to include at least 2 people, a car or bike, a tree, a house, a door, and a staircase… so troublesome!!!!! anyhow, at first I copied a photograph, but then sensei told us that we were going to have to tone this backgrond SEVEN DIFFERENT TIMES. And so I gave up halfway on the photograph copy (I even inked it TAT) and threw it away and tried something that maybe would hold my interest a little longer and not make me go insane… because gosh, if I have to tone something seven freaking times I’d better make it something decent, or that is going to be a HUGE WASTE OF TONE… AND TIME!!!


the naked inked drawing- yes I know perspective and scale is super wonky but I DON’T CARE!!! and I didn’t originally have that huge eyesore of a black cloth in the smack dab middle of the picture, but I accidentally spilled this giant drop of ink… and couldn’t think of any other way to salvage T____T uuu
so we hafto tone it: summer day/night, sunrise/sunset, rain, and wind/snow. here is summer day and summer night:


sunrise and sunset (i dislike the sunset one the most)


rain (it is… kind of wet.)


and wind and snow


So I used a lot of white out. And gosh what a waste of tone lol but from this assignment I did learn a lot. That I should just let loose and not get stuck on little details. And also even though I turned these in late, the teacher saw that I actually spent time on it (unlike the majority of the class lol…) and was very encouraging <3 I… I have hope!

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *    

Lastly, 8 page manga that I already linked before elsewhere, but will copypasta here~ sorry for the repeat material to those who seen it already m(_ _)m


waughhh it took me so long, but I finally finished~ read right to left. English version afterwards.

2                                                                                        1

4                                                                                        3 

 6                                                                                        5
 

 7

i didn’t do any cg editing except cleaning up dust, so everything’s by hand… drawing/inking/toning and pasting printed out dialogue with a glue stick. yeah, a real glue stick!!! lol I even translated it to English for non-Japanese readers ^_^a It was kind of hard to translate some places like the last pages, but I think it’s generally the same feeling I’m trying to get across. well… my Japanese isn't so good, but English is pretty bad to begin with =A= But it’s kind of a weird feeling… to scanslate my own manga 0_o just change url #’s up to e07.jpg.

if the story seems familiar…it is! It’s very the same story I made for my incomplete 3D animation senior film from 2006.
these characters…

 

…were originally these little guys… ヾ(●⌒∇⌒●)ノ


aaah!!! ●_● so long ago. I decided not to pursue 3D after graduating, but I never forgot about my story, and thought it would be so unfortunate if it was forever left incomplete… So I made gijinka characters and a manga exercise of it, and now that it’s finally done… I feel like I can finally close that chapter of my life!
3D animation (2D too, why not) and manga are really two completely different worlds… but both are similar in that they are SO!!! VERY TEDIOUS!!! But I learned sooo so much by doing both. Story is still the most important thing. They’re both so technical and there are so many rules to follow, but I feel like if you really work at it, or if you can get the right feeling and inspiration, it’s possible to disregard those rules and just dive right in and work straightforward… and come up with something amazing. I definitely don’t feel like I’m anywhere near that point with any of my work, but I will keep on trying harder until the day that I can.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

And thus ends my first year as a manga student~ well, I technically have an end of the year assessment on the 25th, but until then I have some free time to draw non-school related work, some commission work, and *gasp* FANART!!!!! ;_; I don’t know how long it’s been since I drew fanart TAT GAHHH I wanna make a book (Talestalestales), but I’m so bad at writing stories, and I’ve been trying to think up a circle name and try to get my own gallery back up… so much I wanna do, and I only have about a month to do it all before my 2nd year starts!!! Life is so unfair lol, to think I’d have more time as a student rather than working… but overall I’m quite happy :)

23 comments:

  1. OOMMMGGG! IF PHI DRAWS A TALES DOUJINSHI, I'LL PERSONALLY FLY OVER TO JAPAN AND STALK YOUR TABLE!!!!!!!!!!

    XDDDDDDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fee's homework iceas are so cute! FREE TIME. WAIT WAIT. WE HAVE WORK FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! For some reason, I really really really like the rain one~ XD Everything looks positively drenched. XD

    It's good to see your efforts are being noticed~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh....looking at this is so great!! I really like how much you use black in your inking, and the projects they have you do are so interesting!! I really like the snow and rain ones the best too (was the snow one done with just...a lot of white ink?)

    This is so educational! Maybe I'll try to do some of these assignments on my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Phi. I will never get over the いいぜ face

    ReplyDelete
  6. OTSUKARE~~PHIIIII~~!!!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    I ENJOYED THIS POST VERY VERY MUCH!! You've got such mad skills woman!! I like the snow version of the toning~~ it's so pretty!! Ohh man~ you are such a hardworker v v and the 8p manga was sooo cute!!!

    AND YESSS TALES BOOK
    YOU KNOW I APPROVEEEEEEE
    v v

    ReplyDelete
  7. TALES TALES TALES TALES \o/ \o/ \o/

    I am SO impressed by how much you were able to do with that one drawing in terms of setting--and it's all SCREENTONED. *DIES* It's insane how professional it looks ;A;

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap, that is quite the assignment. Do they teach you how to light stuff during those seasons or do you go off on your own? D:

    Good work!!! Woah, its been one year already since you were there! XD
    Get plenty of rest and enjoy your break!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second your inner TALESTALESTALES instinct! Fanbook, do it!!

    Also, god, the snow version just looks like Toyama, sob. Minus the cool buildings ;__;

    CONGRATS ON FINISHING EVERYTHING! See you tomorrow night :3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaa Phi you're always improving and improving I'm always amazed when you put up your art posts!! Please continue doing your best! \o/~~~

    (And yes Tales book Tales book!!! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your assignments are so tough! But I think they turned out really well. My favorite's the snow one.

    The rabbit and turtle comic is so cute. Perfect combi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gaaaaaah ////// but I really want to!!! haha tho I promise if I do of course I'll reserve copies so you won't have to do something so drastic lolll

    ReplyDelete
  13. yayyy thanks!! The rain one was done with inking in the drops, and toned with just one giant piece of tone... and scratching the white out. Maybe it's a bit too drenched haha ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you!!! I tried to use more black this time and less tone (since too much tone can make things look messy and all that) and yup, the snow one I used a lot of misnon/white out... though not as much as I thought I would, just enough to cover up the ink lines from the original drawing. And of course the falling snow bits were white out on top of the tone too.

    Haha the homework is tedious but even after doing it just once I learned quite a bit~ you should totally try it! I have no self motivation so if I weren't in school I'd probably never do it on my own XD;;;

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha because he has a box mouth just like you XD

    ReplyDelete
  16. gyaaa THANKS KUUUCHANNN >/////< demo mada mada desuuuuu if I can even get to half your speed then that's a different story haha♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahaha yeah if I can even come up with a story then Tales book might happen XD thank youuu!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol not really, the teacher only showed us some example work from previous year's students, and maybe gave a few tips in a badly drawn handout... since there is more than one way to draw every season/setting haha. So we hafto find references on our own TAT

    thank you I will totally rest!!! and then come home soon~ woo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lol poor you, no wonder you're escaping to Tokyo... it's just... wet here LOL
    but at least you guys have great fish ;_; and snowboarding... wahhh ikitaiii

    ReplyDelete
  20. T_T AAAH THank youuu!!!!!! I'm really happy to hear you think that, I never ever think I'm improving orz so thank you! Ganbarimasuuu!
    TAAALES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. T^T arigatouuu
    hehe yeah rabbit is a bit tsundere... >w

    ReplyDelete
  22. yay so awesome! and @___@ at the toning the same bg 7 times! i could see how it gets boring... but! great job!!!

    and and! i love the anemic vampire... *_*

    ReplyDelete
  23. (0 o 0)!!!
    Your characters are so cute and you are so good at using tones!

    It looks like you worked a lot DDD:
    It's sad that your classmates aren't very driven. What are they doing with all that spare time?

    ReplyDelete