June 16, 2009

2 months of homework

phi disclaimer: I've only been in school for 2 months and I can't have improved much during then! So pleeeaaase please don't expect anything fantastical! ;_; I'm here to improve because I feel like I suck to begin with and I still suck so that's why I'm in school so so so don't expect anything fancy okay T^T okay moving on...
I have no scanner so most of these are all really blurry photos. Sorry for bad quality. m(_ _)m

It's really weird going from what's basically 100% digital and working with a tablet, scanning and fixing my crappy sketches in Photoshop (transform tool addict here) to 100% analog. I mean, I have no CG-capable computer here and no scanner, just my little laptop. I have to fix my drawings by *gasp* redrawing them >_>; and when I ink it's like for good... I guess my biggest sadness was NO CTRL-Z!!! But I'm kinda used to it now, sort of? But yeah trying to not use the computer as a handi, and forcing myself to make decisions and do it by hand... because anyone can make a great piece of art if they're given 10 years. The difference is a noob needs the 10 years, and the pro doesn't.

Anyway so I'm just gonna run through most of the homework I did.
Click for larger versions for some of them.

A progress photo I shot of 3 different assignments:
(top) Manga I: monochrome illustration
(bottom left) Manga Illust: watercolor inked character frontal and 3/4 view
(right) Manga II: facial expressions (Happy, Angry, Sad, Scared/Shocked)
facial expressions inked and hatched.
No tone, I didn't realize we were allowed to use tone at this point...
The finished watercolor, done on a ghetto foldable table donated to me by family friend. I dislike watercolor. I just use it like Copics. He looks like a goober. But incidentally, my classmates told me the other day that said goober got put on the display window on the 4th floor and the 1gumi and 2gumi classes have started calling it "yuusha". I haven't gone to confirm this yet, but what? They even titled this garbage? =___=
finished monokuro pen and ink. As you can see, I bought my new bigger prettier desk XD Only problem is it gets dirty easily if I drip ink on it.
Ah, forgot to say... most everything is done on B4 manga paper. I use G-pen, maru-pen, and saji-pen. I mainly use G-pen for drawings, maru-pen for smaller drawings, details or hatching, and saji-pen I used to use just for larger hatching, but I hardly ever use it anymore. For ink, we got like 4 different types for different purposes, but I like Pilot ink since it dries fast and so less smudge risk.
He's rabbit-dude, like a human version of my Gaia evolving item, Hermes! I experimented with some tone here. I haven't touched tone in 8 years. I'm actually using the tone I bought 8 years ago. The price tag on my tone says 12/2001 on it. X_X
for Manga II: hairstyles
we had to draw 4 guys and 4 girls with different hairstyles. I just used this assignment to experiment, and referenced some hair and clothes from fashion magazines, because I'm really unoriginal. Especially with girls.
 hairstyles inked, hatched, and used some tone here and there. It's bad, I know. Don't laugh.
Manga Illust: watercolor monochrome assignment, where we have to draw a character with 3 geometric shapes (either square, triangles, or circles) in the BG, and only using Red (Vermillion) and Black for the palette. I really don't care for this assignment (or class, the teacher is kind of a bitch) and so I recycled a really old sketch I did of my Gaia avatar, and changed it up a bit.
 
Manga II: 8 member family assignment. We had to draw 8 people in an illustration to practice drawing not just young pretty people. They had to be from ages baby, kindergarten, elementary, middle school, high school, 20's, middle age, and old person. This one was kind of interesting. kixies was visiting me during this one, and her helpful input and toning advice helped this project go by faster~
For Manga Basics, we had to use all the different hatching techniques we learned and apply them (if even just a little bit) to a 18x18 cm illustration. I started this one at like 10pm the night before it was due, and finished it at like 7 in the morning. Once a procrastinator, always a procrastinator. But I finished it in time for class heh. Done mostly with maru-pen, no tone.
Manga I: Jack and the Beanstalk
We had to make a 4 page manga of either Jack and the Beanstalk (up until beanstalk discovery) or Cinderella (up until the pumpkin carriage) and because I previously made character designs in my last art school for Jack and the Beanstalk, I was a big cheater and just re-used those ones. I did rehaul it a little bit of course, because my work from 3 years ago is really gross!

I know there are lots of errors, especially the serif bubbles and panelling, but its (sort of) my first time so now I know and i'll do it better next time... so don't look too closely.

Super THANK YOU to who let me use her tones, and helped me tone like half of it cos we were rushing, and taught me so many toning tips. And also let me use her scanner to scan this~ m(_ _)m arigatou senpai~!

(right to left)

 
 
 
My sketch class projects are really dumb so I'm not showing those. They basically just involve copying photographs out of magazines, so boooring.

My next project is I have to draw 50 original characters, 10 of which are due next week, the other 20 in a month, and the last 20 after summer break. I also got -another- fullcolor watercolor due this friday, involving a character and some sort of vegetation. Last is a 5 page original manga with he keyword "rain", due after summer break. It's rainy season here and all I can think of right now in association with rain is "hate" and "I want to go home to dry cali weather".

ah, I hope that was kind of informative. It's quite different from the art school I'm used to, since there's not really traditional art foundation classes... but I'm learning a lot.

aaand done!

38 comments:

  1. I oughta slap you for your disclaimer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These projects look like sooo much fun , gosh I wish I could do them too!!! The illus of the Hermes dude is really nice, good compo and tonal usage. You're going to improve so much ~~~~~

    Babies and kids are hard for me to draw, I studied and failed at them a couple of months ago ToT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phi says she misses us, but she really just misses the DV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phi... you're kind of awesome.

    ...

    I especially love the design and details on Hermes. Sooo nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you guys are SO MEAN!!! ;-;
    I'm... I'm NEVER COMING HOME!!!
    *runs away sobbing*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woooow~ seeing all your homework just blows me away @__@ Your cross-hatching is so impressive~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah, non digital stuff for inking and toning @_@;; You're doing a great job on all of them!! XD

    It looks fun that you just get do everything manga style (your own style)!! You're animal drawing practices have come in handy haha.. The cow looks awesome XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sort of mesmerised by the different crosshatching experiment you did. And you wonder why the "goober" is displayed and named. Your homework is freaking inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uwa~ I love your style, and your finishing techniques are amazing *__* I can't wait to see how much more amazing you'll be when you finish schooling. Your proportioning and perspective are definitely getting better. Seriously, I love your work SO much! The next couple assignments sound really interesting. You better be showing those off next! ;3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love manga basics all nighter from 10p-7a... just cause i imagine that being your expression of sort of hypnotized-delusional when you were done... like "omg i'm finally done... *dies*"

    good job! keep learning keep working hard! if you can pick up one piece of information... then it's worth it! ^^ but i'm sure you're learning more than that! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see how your style is becoming more Japanese but still has that inherent "Phi Style". :D Love it, love all of it and it's apparent how it's looking better all the time DESPITE what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome stuff. Wow, no tones on some of those?? Can't even tell at first glance, holy crap! =O

    Great job on the stuff you've done so far, and good luck on the stuff that you have ahead! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHAT YOU MEAN YOU NOT AMAZING???!

    2 MONTHS? NOT AWESOME? YOU LIE! :O

    ReplyDelete
  14. very cool! so this is what you've been up to! i hope you're doing well!

    not sure how else to reach you, so i'll tell you the good news here: josh proposed to me :D we will be wed in november of this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so awesome Phi you're my hero!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suck? What is this suck you speak of? I see only AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hairstyles inked, hatched, and used some tone here and there. It's bad, I know. Don't laugh.

    Who'd be laughing it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i did not expect anything. just know fact this be very high level

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOW CAN YOU SIT THERE AND SAY THIS IS BAD?! I KEEL YOU, AND YOUR ART CRIES BECAUSE IT KNOWS IT'S GORGEOUS AND YET YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO SAY IT IS BAD!!!!!! ::DVs your ass::

    Eat good foods and sleep properly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woah, A lot of work but looks like a lot of fun!

    phi is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So AWE SOME! 2 months and so much to show for it! :D I'm glad you got a chance to share these! I really heart the cross hatch picture you did! The eyes are so mesmerizing~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to suck at art and make awesome garbage just like Phi! ;;o;;

    ReplyDelete
  23. omg liar! you can totally do kids, I saw the rubella(sp?) thing you did for the box or whatever before I left. =.=b

    ahaha yeah it's like if someone gave me these assignments while I still had a job, I totally wouldn't do them... I only do them now because I pay for schooling and have hw deadlines! orz

    Hope I can come back home and have some skill to show for it haha T^Tb

    ReplyDelete
  24. yeah it's such a trip being here and being EXPECTED to do manga style for everything. I actually lost points on my life drawing/sketch homework because I made it TOO REALISTIC. It wasn't MANGA enough!!! @___@

    thank you~~♥ the cow is my favorite part lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. haha several of my classmates cry every week when they do the hatching, always saying "my eyes!! my eyes!!!" XD I guess it hurts more to make it than just to look at it, but fortunately I seem to be okay for the most part... for now ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. ;_; augh thank you! I'm always being told to show my work to more people because that's the best way to know if you're improving, since it's hard to judge yourself. So I'll definitely post my next works!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG yes that was totally me!!! @___@ Except, just need to add lots darker eye bags ehehe...

    T^Tb thank you~ I feel like my life is made more worthwhile if I feel I'm learning things. Once I stop feeling like that and get stagnant, I start getting really anxious! And do crazy things, like, move to Japan. lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha "Phi Style" aka "Phi Stink" XD that's kind of comforting, although I still feel like when my work is put up against my classmates, it still feels the most un-japanese. But naturally!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations!! Actually CP told me, and I also still check Gaia mail from time to time so I heard about it XD
    November! That's FAST! Good luck with wedding planning! I have a few friends planning weddings right now too, and though they're aiming for next year it still seems quite tough. I'll send good vibes to you from across the Pacific during your wedding! *happy beam*

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is the one word in Russian I know - NYET!!!!

    You are full of awesome. Therefore, Phi Style = Awesome Style! I refuse to hear anything else! LA LA LA *turns off audio* XD

    If un-Japanese means better than them, I certainly agree! There's certain styles I never liked about a few manga-ka but yours would never be amongst those!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cow puppy-face makes me wanna cry ;-; DARN YOU JACK!! *waves fist*

    ReplyDelete
  32. uuuuuuuuuu amazing >_< thanks for taking the time to post it all! it all looks so pro, despite all of your "IT SUCKS!!" comments.

    and yay for drawing manga pages of your jack and the beanstalk characters! I loved the designs you did for that so I'm glad to see them revived =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've read some of the previous comments and I think that the only thing that's making it look less Japanese is the thickness of the lines.. Other than that, nothing's wrong with them! :D I look forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Holy ballsss you're so facking good Phi!! I looove looking at your artwork

    ReplyDelete
  35. OH MY GOD SO MUCH DRAWING

    I would looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove to draw manga all day long for homework!! LOL!!

    Good luck, keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. (I just started using G-pens myself. THEY ARE THE SH*T!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  37. ...you are so amazing!!! ;A; You've done so much in 2 months! As soon as I saw the facial expressions page I thought 'WHOA looks like it came straight from a chapter title page of a manga.' Then there was even more!

    YUUSHA-KUN

    ReplyDelete