August 12, 2009

old + summer homework

I came home to the states for summer break, and finally scanned some of the homework I brought back with me. The color ones aren't scanned though, since I already turned them in. oh well. Not much more to show after 2 months, so once again please don't expect much m(_ _)m
fullcolor watercolor assignment, which must include a character with vegetation of your choice. I chose lotuses. The character turned out looking like a super gay Kamui, I didn't mean to but the color palette just came out that way. Anyway the water was super annoying... obviously I'm no good at transparent watercolor (the trees *laugh* ah well... bunny!)
after watercolors we moved onto color inks. I bought Dr. Ph Martins transparent watercolor, pretty pricey in Japan so hopefully I'll learn how to use them properly, but until I do here is my sad first attempt! (I only know how to use them like copics...) The BG on this ended up being too light for the color copier, so I had to add darker purple in it during class. I also ran out of ideas so have some unoriginal Gaia stuff. Wait, is it still unoriginal if I created it? O.oa
We have to draw 50 fullbody original characters, any character is okay as long as they have ages and a dumb name. Teacher says every year, at least several students will draw "gokiburi-chan"(cockroach) which is just a dot and antennae, and that counts as a character...;;; It's 10 per page, so 5 pages total. I didn't want mine to be totally random like some examples the teacher showed, so I tried to give each of mine themes. The theme for this one is black and white. Waiter/waitress, bride/groom (making fun of ^^ ) panda, maid/butler, etc. Yeah, pretty lame.

(click for larger)
this one I tried to do a Chess theme. I was too ambitious and too slow and didn't put the chessboard BG like I originally planned, but whatever 30 more to go moving on...
A toning assignment. Illustration must include tone scratching techniques: flash and clouds. Of course I must have bunnies, so naturally... ♥
I just finished this one today. Background illustration of one point perspective photograph, copy/trace it and tone it. Here is the street I live on.
I don't feel like I have improved all that much, I've only been at school for 4 months... but looking back on these recent assignments, I just cringe at how awkward some many parts of it are. So I'm taking my feeling that way as a sign of improvement, however small.
30 more characters, a 5 page manga, and a museum/exhibit report to go.
too much summer homework... dying... oTZ

sankyu for looking~

14 comments:

  1. You're supposed to take this break time to take a break and reflect on how much you've *grown* as an artist~~ Then! go back and pour over your work and new homework with fresh eyes~ ^^

    I see a ton o' improvement~ not sure what you're talking about... o_.?

    ^^ In the very least, the program itself seems to have a pretty good, well-rounded curriculum. Get your money's worth! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. *nods* it's easy to get used to your own work. Kinda like with game testing, they like to rotate people so we get "fresh eyes" cuz after a while you kinda just miss things someone else might see.

    I think you've improved A LOT. I admire how much skill you have :D I love the chess-themed piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could buy that first one... I REALLY WOULD! Love the colors, and it has a very serene feeling. =)

    From what you've shared with us, it really looks like you're improving as you learn more. Keep up the good work! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow these are amazing =O I'd say you are improving!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude... DUDE!!! @ the 20 characters. @_@ Holy crap!! I love how much thought you're putting into it.. a theme makes it so much more fun!

    I'm totally blown away by everything you've posted =O!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, phi. I haven't looked at your stuff in years, but it's absolutely professional now. My jaw is officially dropped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say you're getting better too, but it's good that you're able to see where things could use improvement. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd definitely say you're getting better Phi! I guess maybe it's not apparent to you since you constantly look at your work on a daily basis but as a friend who periodically looks at your work I can definitely say there's a MARK improvement.

    I don't think technically there's much of a mark improvement but more along the sense that when I now look at your work it's commercial, it's finished, it's professional. I'm very impressed with the background illustration. It's very spot on. Not to say your previous work was unprofessional but it gave that 'Doujinshi' type of vibe. Now I get this "Appear in JUMP, Ribbon, Lala, Asuka etc..." type of vibe.

    Not sure if my comment makes sense O_O But yeah that's my honest feeling!

    Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks! haha I totally would take time to give my eyes a rest this break... if only my school would see it that way!!! *shakes fist @ hw*

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you!! i am usually a wuss and never want to show my stuff, but it is really helpful to have you guys give your honest opinions~ and i can gauge myself ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. wahhh thank you so much! That really means a lot to hear someone say they'd even pay money for it! @w@

    ReplyDelete
  12. it totally makes sense! thanks for your honest feeling, that's really the most helpful kind of thing for me to hear. Although I think my stuff still has 'amateur doujinshi' vibe and i have a long way to go :) but since even pro make doujinshi, who knows hahaha ♥

    ReplyDelete